Sunday, March 17, 2019

God's Love and Power

Whom do we trust in times of uncertainty?  It has been over eight years since my husband, Wayne, passed away from his devastating neurological illness.  For four and a half years before that I saw Wayne deteriorate in his body step by step.  Those years before and after his death were very difficult years.  Sometimes they were years when it was easy to give into fear.

A few months ago I began dating a widower named Bob from my home town.  Bob also cared for his wife with a serious neurological disease for a few years.  We both know the commitment and love it takes to care for a spouse with a serious illness.  Thank you, dear caregiver, for all that you do!

Almost three weeks ago Bob and I became engaged, and we will marry this summer.  We are very happy and excited about that.  Yet we will always have a love for caregivers and the people for whom they care.  This is reflected in the volunteer work we do.  We will also always remember and love our spouses for whom we both cared.

Bob and I consider our finding each other a true gift from God.  We both went through some faith challenging days when caring for our spouses and then losing them.  Yet God was with us during those days, and now has blessed us with each other.  There is much to consider when remarrying, however.  In spite of planning a small wedding, there are many details to consider for that.  There are also issues with trying to combine two households of possessions.  In addition to this, there are other extended family members whom we will always love and desire what is best for them.  It is easy to become stressed or even fearful in walking this life's path.

Yet recently I ran across some Scripture verses in my devotions.  These are verses which helped me in my care-giving days and beyond.  They continue to bless me.  I posted those verses with some comments that I recently made on Facebook below.  I pray that they may be a blessing to you, dear caregiver, no matter what your fears or struggles.  I pray that they may be a blessing to anyone who is reading this post.


"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." (Ephesians 3:17-21)
"Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10) Satan wants to devour and destroy, but the Lord God in His power and love is in control. "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when---" (Psalm 37:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment