Monday, January 6, 2014

Storms

My computer reads -17 degrees F this morning. I am told that the wind chill factor makes is feel like approximately -44 F. Conditions outside make it dangerous to be outside for any length of time. Right now I am safe and protected in my warm home. Since I have electric heat, however, I would be in a vulnerable situation should the electricity go out. Yet I know in this storm as in any storm of my life the Lord is in control. I can truly rest this in His care.

There are other kinds of storms that sometimes hit our lives as well. One of these storms is the care-giving storm. I so remember my care-giving days especially the last months and year of my husband's life. I am only a five foot two inch female. My husband was about five foot eleven inches and weighed possibly close to two hundred pounds. During the last months of his life due to his neurological disease he was completely disabled. I had to do everything for him with the help of a lift and the help of my son. These were days of great emotional stress and sometimes fear. I could not have survived those days without the Lord.

Yet in this care-giving storm God was with me and provided for me step by step. I can see this with more objectivity and clearness now, as I look back on those days. Although my first reaction often still is to panic and then turn to the Lord when I face a new fearful situation, I think I face the future today with greater confidence because of the lessons I learned during my care-giving days.

Dear caregiver, rest your fears and care-giving storms in the Lord's hands. I was reminded in my devotions today that in the very difficult and extreme circumstances of life one is more likely to see the glory and power of God at work. There is perhaps no more difficult experience than being a caregiver for a loved one who is continually deteriorating in their health. Yet God will and does show His glory in and as a result of these difficult circumstances. Look for God's wonders in your life now and in the days ahead. God may heal your loved one on this earth. Even if the Lord does not heal your loved one on this earth, however, He will be with you. He will do “immeasurably more” than all you “ask or imagine” in your life, as you rest in Him (Ephesians 3:20-21) 

So, dear caregiver, approach this new year with courage and not fear. God said to Joshua in Joshua 1:9 “Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with wherever you go.” Hold tightly to the Lord's hand and to the promises of God in Scripture. God is in control. God has the power to heal your loved one, if He so chooses. It is in His sovereign will. (Matthew 8:2) Your times and your loved one's times are in His hands. Trust Him. (Psalm 31:14-15a)

When I was younger I used to think that two things I “knew” I would not be able to handle would be the loss of my husband and the loss of a breast. During the years I was caring for my husband I lost a breast because of breast cancer. I also lost my husband to his disease on January 2, 2011. I also felt woefully inadequate for the job of being my husband's caregiver. God asked all these things from me. Yet you see, dear caregiver, it is not about our strength; it is about His strength. He loves it when we recognize our own weakness, and He is delighted when we rest in His strength. Rest in His strength this year, dear caregiver, and do not give into fear.

3 comments:

  1. Sharon this is beautiful and true even after we are done with the role of caregiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post to encourage and inspire others that have to walk the same path. Caregivers as yourself are like God's Angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete