Monday, September 12, 2011

Peace

Caregiving not only involves the tasks of caring for one’s loved one, but there is also a lot of emotional turmoil which can accompany the caregiving process. I found this especially true in the later months of my husband’s illness. Transfers to the bathroom, bed, and car were becoming increasingly difficult; and I was finding myself fearfully anticipating each next transfer.

God wants us to do everything in dependence on Him. Caregiving began to teach me that self-sufficiency would not work. Apart from God we can do nothing of eternal value. God’s deepest desire for you, dear Christian caregiver, is that you depend on Him in every situation. There is no other way to travel through the challenges and sometimes grief of caregiving. Rely on the Lord constantly. Let Him fill you moment by moment with His strength. You do not have enough strength on your own, dear caregiver, but He will give you enough strength for the day.

As I look back on the days I was a caregiver for my husband, those days were very difficult days. My husband’s disease was a terrible disease which made him completely dependent on others at the end. Through it all as I look back, however, I can see how God provided step by step. I clung tightly to God during those days. Perhaps my emotional stress would have been lighter, however, if I would not have tried to anticipate the future. I needed to rely moment by moment on God alone.

The Lord wants to give you His peace in the midst of the chaos of caregiving, dear Christian caregiver. Take time each morning to sit quietly in His Presence through prayer and Bible reading. Then walk through the day constantly reminding yourself of His Presence. His peace which will come from doing this is a rare and beautiful treasure, and it can stand up under the struggles of the day. Wear God’s peace throughout the day.

He will refresh you when you are weary, dear caregiver. He will give you what you need when you feel as if you cannot go on in your caregiving duties one more moment. Also do not become discouraged when your emotions so overwhelm you that you do not feel this peace, dear Christian caregiver. God understands our weakness. On those days just turn once again back to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment