Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Caregiving and God's Word

There are so many negative emotions which can accompany caregiving. These emotions often are intense. In many situations caregiving involves seeing the one that you love deteriorate step by step before one’s very eyes. As a caregiver for my husband with a serious neurological disease for 4 ½ years until his death, I too experienced many of these emotions. (My caregiving story is recorded in my first blog post at this site.)

On December 23, 2008 I posted the following comments on another online blog site:
“Lord, help me in my struggle to remain humble, patient, kind, and unselfish in my dealings with my husband. Help me concentrate on the blessings I (we) still have and not on the way things used to be. Help me to not be angry but joyful. Fill me with your wisdom and lack of fear about the future. Sometimes it is tempting to feel all alone in this, Lord. I know that isn’t true. Many people care, but they do not fully understand. Why does the prayers and concern always seem to be about the one sick and not the caregiver? Yet I know many people are praying, Lord. Most of all I know you understand, Lord. Thank you that You are in control, Lord. I wish I could cry more, Lord; but you understand when my heart is weary and sad. Praise You for the hope I have in You, Lord.”

Fear, discouragement, impatience, grief, and feelings of being overwhelmed are all emotions which can accompany caregiving. One of the things I learned through my years of caregiving is that I could not do it myself. I had to lean heavily on God’s promises in God’s Word, the Bible. I needed to dig deeply into God’s Word. I needed to do whatever it took to get God’s Word into my heart and into my mind. God had an answer for every negative emotion and challenging caregiving situation I faced as my husband’s caregiver. I still need to remember that as I mourn his death.

Caregiving is so busy and time consuming. Take time in God‘s Word each day, however, dear caregiver. It is so important to your well-being both emotionally and spiritually.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment