Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Caregiver's Caregiver

As a caregiver for my husband before his death it seemed as if my energies and concerns were mostly all directed towards his needs. In such a scenario it was easy to long for some tender loving care directed to me and my needs.

In January of 2009 I posted the following comments on another online blog post:
“I am feeling some better after my stomach flu-a little tired yet. When I go to the dr. for post cancer treatment check-ups it would be nice to have my husband with me. When I broke my foot it would have been nice not to have had to drive into the dr. by myself. It would have been nice to have received a little TLC from my husband when I was in the midst of the worst of my flu symptoms. I praise You, Lord, however, that You are my great Caregiver, Shepherd, and Savior. Thank You that I am beginning to feel better after the flu. Thank You for Your daily blessings. Please help me to remain dependent on You.”

My husband because of his disability could not provide me with the caregiving that I myself needed, but my great heavenly Caregiver and Shepherd could do exactly that. In Isaiah 40:11 God says, “He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart; He gently leads those that have young.” That verse was a beautiful reminder of God’s loving care for me as a caregiver. God Himself is the Christian caregiver’s Caregiver! Isn’t that an awesome thought, dear caregiver?
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment