Saturday, August 24, 2024

August Birthday Blessings

 


August is traditionally the last month of summer.  It is also the month that I was born.  On August 24th seven seven years ago I came into the world around noon on a Sunday.  I had a lovely birthday this year with many Facebook greetings, texts, lovely "smail" cards, phone calls, and a special family party in the evening.

Ecclesiastes 2:3 says that there is a time to be born and a time to die.  We need to think of life as a terminal illness, and we need to realize how short it really is.  Life also has many sorrows and obstacles  I have seen that first hand with my first husband's death at age 65, and I am reminded of that again with my second husband now being on Hospice in a skilled nursing facility.  I see that also with my own bodily aches and pains.

For the child of God death and even pain is a blessing.  It is not natural.  It came, because sin entered the world.  Yet for the child of God pain can be a pathway to maturing in the faith and a more intimate relationship with the Lord.  Death is a just a pathway to heaven and the Lord's presence  Paul says in Philippians 1:21, "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."  

I believe we also need to live life with a thankful heart and live it with purpose and joy.  The older I get the more I realize that can really only be found in a relationship with the Lord.  We can enjoy temporal blessings, but they really only have meaning in the context of a relationship with the Lord and in the context of eternity.  



 


No comments:

Post a Comment