Saturday, April 2, 2016

Suffering and Trials

My daughter-in-law from London was visiting in my home recently.  My son met her doing mission work in London.  They are now married with two children and a third child on the way.  My daughter-in-law was originally born in Pakistan, however.  The story of how she came to know the Lord and is now living in London is an awesome story of God's grace.  She is being used by God in remarkable ways.  Yet she has a huge burden for her siblings and parents still living in Pakistan. I have taken on the burden on her heart for her family in a new way as well after her being in my home for several days.

So why does God allow suffering in the lives of Christians?  Why are we living in an increasingly dangerous world of persecution and suffering?  Why is there suffering of any kind in this world? Why is there abuse of all kinds and hardships in our world?  Why did your loved one become ill, dear caregiver?  If God is a God of miracles, why doesn't God just fix things?

There are no easy answers to these questions.  We do know that sin entered this world when Adam and Eve, the first people, disobeyed God.  Hence, we no longer live in a perfect world.  It is now a world affected by sorrow and sickness.  Also people make bad choices sometimes which unfortunately affects other people as well.

Jesus said we would face trials in this life.  He also said, however, that we can take heart, because He has overcome the world (John 16:33 in the New Testament of the Bible).  He has promised to always be with us and never leave or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5b in the New Testament).  We also have the assurance that someday all will be made right and perfect when He returns.

Being my husband's caregiver and watching his body deteriorate and fighting breast cancer myself during part of that time was a very difficult experience for me.  There have been trials that have continued to follow me as a widow.  Why did/does God allow that in my life?  

There are no easy answers to these questions.  I do know God has used that experience in my life to teach me valuable lessons.  I have learned that I am not in control.  I have learned of the need to depend on the Lord, even though I still am prone to fret and try to solve things in my own strength.  I have learned of the need  to seek God for Himself and not for what He can give me.  I have seen His faithfulness.  Through trials I have grown in my love for the Lord and have come to know not just in my head but in my heart in a deeper way the truths of His promises.  I often still get easily discouraged, but I know that feelings are not a measure of God's truths.  Feelings do not negate God's promises to always be with me.

It was a little over a year ago that I shared my testimony in my church.  Forgive me for repeating myself by sharing my experiences once again with you.  You can find the link to the written transcript to what I said then here;
 http://christiancaregiving.blogspot.com/2015/03/my-personal-testimony.html   
I shared this same link with you a few weeks ago.

If you want to hear a sermon on the purpose of suffering go here: http://www.oostburgopc.org/sermons/hebrews.cfm   Then when you get there scroll down the list of sermons to the March 29, 2015 sermon called "Patient Endurance in Trials." based on James 5:7-11. Click on that.  This is one of my pastors preaching, and my testimony referred to above is near the end of the sermon about 32 minutes in or so.

We have just experienced Easter.  Christ suffered unimaginable suffering, so we could be saved. Easter also assures us of His presence in our lives through the trials we suffer.  It proves His love for us.  We need no other proof of Christ's love, when we really contemplate what He did for us.  Rest in that, dear caregiver.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment