Monday, April 15, 2013

The Sun is Still Shining

Some days can be cloudy, dreary, and rainy. That is the way it was last week in the town where I live.  More rain and clouds are predicted in this coming week in my town as well. I think we all prefer days which are sunshiny and bright. I know I felt better when the sun just peeked out a little after days of not seeing the sun. It is so much easier to feel joyful in one’s spirit when one can see the sun shining in all its brilliance. Even on days when we can not see the sun, however, it is still shining. It is just hiding behind the clouds.

Family care-giving is like that also. I remember when I was a caregiver having difficulty seeing the blessings that were all around me because of the difficulties and discouraging moments of my days. There were blessings in both the extra difficult days of care-giving and in the days that went more smoothly. Some days the blessings were just hidden behind the clouds of my discouragement about my husband’s disease.

I think we have to make a conscious effort to look for God's blessings, however; because they are there even on the days when we have a difficult time seeing them. Those blessings are there just as surely as the sun is there even on days when it is hiding behind the clouds.

Look for the blessings, dear caregiver, even if they are sometimes hidden behind the clouds of discouragement and difficulty. Try to write down each day at least three things for which you are thankful that day. As you look for and discover the blessings your spirit will be lifted! The sun is still shining behind the clouds of care-giving difficulties and discouragements!

No comments:

Post a Comment