Monday, March 5, 2012

Thankful for Difficult “Gifts”

My husband was diagnosed with his neurological disease in 2006. That summer our son and his family purchased our home in the country, and my husband and I moved to an apartment. We did this, because we knew my husband’s disease would get progressively worse. Therefore we knew it would not be possible for us to stay living in our country home of 27 years. We lived in the apartment for three and a half years, but in late February of 2010 we moved to a condo. On March 6, 2010 I journaled the following words:

“It is two weeks ago today that we moved into our new home. I really do love it. I love seeing the sun streaming into the living room windows in the early morning. I love the fact that my husband’s wheelchair is not blocking traffic areas nearly as badly as it did when we lived in our apartment. I am glad that my husband seems to like our new home also.

Even in our new home, however, caregiving issues continue to press heavy on my spirit at times. So much of caregiving is just plain gross, thankless, and just not a lot of fun. I must remind myself that this is my calling right now. I must remind myself that this is developing my character and stretching my faith. I must remind myself that even the difficult “gifts” of life (the troubles and trials) are good, if I don’t become bitter in the process and if I try to see God’s hand in even these things. Thank you, Lord, for Your presence in my life, for my family, for my friends, for my new home, for beautiful sunshiny weather, and for a host of other blessings. Make me also thankful for and in the difficulties of caregiving.”

Dear Christian caregiver, can you find the blessings in your life in spite of the difficulties and challenges of caregiving? It is so much easier to dwell on the negatives in our lives than to remember the positives in our lives. Furthermore, dear caregiver, can you see the blessings in even the very difficult tasks and heartaches of caregiving? Are you able to see God’s hand in the difficult “gifts” of life, the troubles and trials? May God bless you and help you as you fulfill this difficult but crucial calling in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment