Monday, February 20, 2012

Joy and Sadness

Life is such a mixture of joy and sorrows, is it not? This was especially evident to me on February 24, 2009. On that day my little grandson was born. That day was also the day of cancer surgery for my mother-in-law. Furthermore, at that time I was right in the middle of my caregiving days with my husband, Wayne. It was a time of constant declines in his health. Below is what I journaled on that day:

“Our new grandson was born this morning! He weighed 9 pound, 9 ounces and is 21 1/2 inches. His name is William Wayne, William for his great-grandpa and Wayne for his grandpa (my husband.) I took care of William’s sisters while my son and his wife were at the hospital. This is our first grandson after 6 granddaughters from our three sons.

On a sad note my mother-in-law had her cancer surgery also today. They were able to get much of her large tumor, but there are many little tumors that they could not get. Chemo will follow later which will hopefully suppress but not cure the cancer. Even with all this they say she most likely has 18 months to 2 years of good life before it will come back.

So today is such a mixture of emotions-joy over our new grandson and sadness about my mother-in-law. Lord, thank you for my precious new grandson born today! Please be with my mother-in-law tonight and in the difficult days that lie ahead. Give her Your peace, Lord. Give me peace too, Lord, as I see my husband continue to deteriorate. Grant me patience also, and help me to concentrate on the many blessings and joys in my life and not on the difficulties.”

My mother-in-law passed away on September 2, 2010 from her cancer, and my husband passed away on January 2, 2011 from his disease. My grandson, however, is a healthy delightful nearly three year old child. Yes, life is a mixture of joy and sadness.

Dear Christian caregiver, caregiving challenges and life in general can sometimes be very overwhelming. Remember, however, that even in the sadness of caregiving there are many joys. Look for these blessings Also remember that life on this earth will always be a mixture of joys and sadness. Know, however, that God will be with you each step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment